Ad-hoc sessions

Monday 13:30 - 14:30 PDT
Not Attending Ledger-CLI users unite (BoF) -- Stefano Zacchiroli
Speaker: Stefano Zacchiroli
Ledger-CLI is the double-entry accounting tool for the discriminating hacker. If you are into doube-entry accounting and using Ledger-CLI for your accounting needs (personal, family, organization, whatever) this BoF is for you. Come with your Ledger-CLI experiences, work-flows, success stories, pet peeves, frustrations, and share them with other Ledger-CLI users. Note: this BoF is targeted at people who are already using Ledger-CLI. Newbies are absolutely welcome, but the event will be structured as an exchange of best practices (or rants) rather than a tutorial. A separate Ledger-CLI tutorial event could be organized in case there is enough interest.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 327
Not Attending DebConf organisation working group -- Martín Ferrari
Speakers: Tassia Camoes, Moray Allan, Martín Ferrari
DebConf organisation working group

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 328
Not Attending Stitch 'n Geek -- Kirsten Watson
Speaker: Kirsten Watson
Stitch 'n Geek

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Monday 15:30 - 16:30 PDT
Not Attending Notmuch BoF -- David Bremner
Speaker: David Bremner
Originally inspired by the sup mail user agent (MUA), notmuch is a GPL3+ set of tools for for dealing with your mail (stored in Maildirs or similar) via searching and tagging. On top of the C bindings and a scriptable command line interface, the project directly supports user interfaces based on Emacs and VIM as well as integration with Mutt. We also support python, ruby, and go bindings. Other projects based on notmuch include curses based frontends written in python and Mercury, a fork of mutt using notmuch as a the backend, several web interfaces, and a virtual filesystem. Depending on audience demand, I could give a brief a tour of the notmuch "ecosystem", concentrating on the Emacs interface and command line tool. Otherwise, we can discuss what are the most irritating missing features, people can give demos, we can help each other configure various notmuch related things, and just generally have not much of a fixed agenda.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 328
Not Attending DebConf15 workgroup -- Margarita Manterola
Speaker: Margarita Manterola
An opportunity for DC15 team to discuss ideas, tasks and who does what

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Monday 16:30 - 17:30 PDT
Not Attending Debian Python team git conversion -- Barry Warsaw
Speaker: Barry Warsaw
Discuss and plan team conversion from Subversion to git.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Tuesday 13:30 - 14:15 PDT
Not Attending Google cloud: get involved in packaging & building -- Jimmy Kaplowitz
Speaker: Jimmy Kaplowitz
Eric Johnson and I from Google are here to work on improving several aspects of Debian on Google's cloud: * Proper Debian packaging of Google's tools and their dependencies * Getting you involved in building the Debian images we ship to customers * Introducing you to our platform and answering questions you might have Come join us and collaborate! We also have a talk on Friday, which will look back and forward at how this effort is going.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Tuesday 16:00 - 16:45 PDT
Not Attending Esperantujeto: learn (about) Esperanto -- Ryan Lortie
Speaker: Ryan Lortie
Casual session for those who are interested in learning (about) Esperanto. (from Wikipedia) Esperanto (/ɛspəˈrɑːntoʊ/ or /-ræntoʊ/; [espeˈranto] is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language. Between 100,000 and 2,000,000 people worldwide fluently or actively speak Esperanto, including perhaps 1,000 native speakers who learned Esperanto from birth. Esperanto has a notable presence in 112 countries. Its usage is highest in Europe, East Asia, and South America We'll discuss: * what it is * why it was created * some basics about the structure of the language * online resources to help with learning it * Esperanto culture and community

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Thursday 10:00 - 10:45 PDT
Not Attending Salvaging packages, take 2 -- Jonathan Wiltshire
Speaker: Jonathan Wiltshire
We aim to establish a 'nice' protocol for negotiating package salvaging, without the negative connotations of hijacking. This is the continuation, and hopefully conclusion, of a discussion in Nicaragua last Debconf. It's a meeting for a few teams, not a public talk or BoF.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 327
Not Attending My PGP/GPG key is RSA 2048-bit, but I put the private key on Gnuk Token -- Yutaka Niibe
Speaker: Yutaka Niibe
In this casual session, I will demonstrate Gnuk Token, which is built by Free Software and free hardware design. I will demonstrate NeuG standalone device, which can generate random numbers at 70KiB/s, too. My PGP/GPG key is RSA 2048-bit now. I understand that some person doesn't want to sign my key, because it looks weaker. I develop Gnuk, the firmware for USB Token, which is compatible to OpenPGP card, under GPLv3. My original purpose/goal was not to put a person into a dilemma: computing freedom vs. better security. I think that I have achieved the goal somehow, and it's strong enough (RSA 2048-bit) and it's not that slow (1.4sec to sign), IMO. It is unfortunate for me that Debian community demands RSA 4096-bit or more. Thus, another dilemma is still there; longer key length or better control of private key by Free Software. Good news is that I have implemented Ed25519 (for signing) already, and going to implement Curve25519 (for decryption) in Gnuk. Besides, I am also GnuPG developer, and try to implement Curve25519 support now. It will be good if GnuPG 2.1 will be released and people will enjoy Gnuk Token with Ed25519/Curve25519 until Debconf15 in Germany. During the development of Gnuk, I develop NeuG, the true random number generator to generate private keys on the device. The entropy source is built-in A/D converter. I realized that this feature is very useful, and I build standalone device (just for generating random numbers). FST-01 is a reference board for Gnuk/NeuG. It has STM32F103 as MCU which runs at 72MHz. It has no crypto accelerator. Schematic design and PCB design are available as free hardware design. Material is available at gobby.debian.org: debconf14 -> bof -> gnuk

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 328
Not Attending AppArmor in Debian -- Kees Cook
Speaker: Kees Cook
Discuss all things AppArmor in relation to using and packaging it in Debian.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Thursday 11:00 - 11:45 PDT
Not Attending tasksel default desktop requalification -- Joey Hess
Speaker: Joey Hess
This session is about filling out a wiki page and defining a process, not making any kind of controversial decision.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 327
Not Attending Summit Summit -- Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
Speaker: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
A meeting of Summit developers for DC14 and those interested in working on it for future DebConf editions. Main topics for discussion: 1) Upstream coordination, 2) Requirements collection for post-dc14, 3) Integrating www.debconf.org into django

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 328
Not Attending continuous fundraising BoF -- Michael Banck
Speaker: Michael Banck
Discuss the possibility for companies to continously contribute to Debian/DebConf via a yearly participatory fee, and what this means for DebConf fundraising and sponsoring

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Thursday 13:30 - 14:15 PDT
Not Attending UEFI Secure Boot -- Colin Watson
Speaker: Colin Watson
Work out what we need to do next to move forward UEFI Secure Boot support in Debian.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Thursday 14:30 - 15:15 PDT
Not Attending Power management: a system wide challenge -- Peter De Schrijver
Speaker: Peter De Schrijver
In this presentation we will start from basic CMOS power consumption factors. We will use that as the basis to explain the various possibilities to balance power versus performance. We will then continue explaining how these techniques are implemented both in the SoC hardware and in the the operating system and application software. Android, maemo, OMAP and Tegra will be used to illustrate the techniques. We will start by explaining which factors influence power consumption in CMOS chips. We will then explain a number of commonly used techniques to control the power versus performance balance such as clock and powergating, clock and supply voltage scaling and heterogenous multiprocessing. We will continue explaining how these techniques are implemented in linux using various frameworks such as cpuidle, cpufreq, common clock framework, runtime PM, generic powerdomains, device QoS constraints, system suspend. We will then discuss how application code affects the device power consumption and discuss how Android and Maemo handle this. We will also discuss various debugging mechanisms and tools such as powertop, ftrace and other information in linux sysfs and debugfs. We will also explain hardware techniques we have used to gain insight in the system operation beyond the view of software. I gave this talk at fosdem already, but if there's interest from people who haven't seen it, I can give it again.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Thursday 19:00 - 19:45 PDT
Not Attending DebConf organisation working group -- Martín Ferrari
Speakers: Tassia Camoes, Moray Allan, Martín Ferrari
DebConf organisation working group

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Friday 20:00 - 20:45 PDT
Not Attending Q&A with Linus Torvalds -- Ana Guerrero López
Speakers: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Ana Guerrero López
Linus will come by DebConf to do a small Q&A session with us.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Plenary Room
Saturday 10:00 - 10:45 PDT
Not Attending DebConf organisation working group -- Martín Ferrari
Speakers: Tassia Camoes, Moray Allan, Martín Ferrari
DebConf organisation working group

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 327
Not Attending Tails BoF -- - Intrigeri
Speaker: - Intrigeri
We'll give a summary of where the Tails project is at these days, the challenges its facing, and how its relationship with Debian is evolving. Then, we'll discuss the various ways there are to help Tails from within Debian. Anyone curious is welcome :)

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Saturday 11:00 - 11:45 PDT
Not Attending Free Software Economics: patronage and crowdfunding -- Joey Hess
Speaker: Joey Hess
Free Software gets built by both volunteers and wealthy corporations. Not everything is about money, as we know, but people must make a living somehow. Most developers can trace their income back to proprietary sources. How can we build a more robust community-centered Free Software economy? Discuss various issues and ideas, hosted by Aaron Wolf of Snowdrift.coop

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329
Saturday 20:00 - 20:45 PDT
Not Attending DebConf (and DC14) Bursaries Team BoF -- Felipe van de Wiel
Speaker: Felipe van de Wiel
This is open to everybody, you don't need to be on DC14 Bursaries team or DebConf organization, you can attend to know what we do and give suggestions on the process. First part will have details and stats about DebConf14 Bursaries work on Travel, Food and Accommodation Sponsorship. Second part will present some ideas and topics for discussions and collect feedback and ideas on what to do and how to move forward.

Tracks:
  • Ad-hoc sessions
Room 329